Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2010 Winter Olympics: Snowboarding

The 2010 Olympics in Vancouver is the host of the Fourth Olympics for Snowboarding as a sanctioned “sport.” The 33rd Olympics have already proved that how exciting snowboarding really is. With Seth Wescott’s crazy comeback victory for the U.S. and Maelle Ricker’s home turf victory in Snowboarder Cross, snowboarding has become a sport not just for outcasts and crazy kids, but one that everyone can enjoy. Check out Seth Wescott’s victory video by clicking here.


Now to talk about the other snowboarding event at the Olympics. Tonight is the superpipe finals which is an even more popular and well known snowboarding event. Names like Shawn White, Louie Vito and Kevin Pearce have made snowboarding as recognized and talked about as skateboarding was 10 years ago (which I’m not sure is a good thing or not). Can Shawn White win another Gold for USA? If he puts down a run like he did in the X-Games, no one else really has a chance. I personally hope for the sake of competition and entertainment the judges don’t give Shawn unreachable scores just because of his name. Every time they do an interview or a video about him, all that runs through my mind is “Wal-Mart.” Shawn white is Snowboarding’s equivalent of Wal-Mart (or should I say Target). He is the poster child of X-Games, Burton, Oakley, etc. and has made snowboarding the trendiest sport out there. I actually heard a commentator compare Shawn White to Michael Jordan!?! It makes me sick and I am curious if there is anyone out there who agrees with me. Let me know. Check out my other blog at slashsnow.wordpress.com. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment